This recipe is the base for two other salad dressings. Substitute an equal amount of garlic or wasabi to taste for the ginger. Once you make the dressing, it can be stored in the refrigerator for as long as five days. Shake it well before use. Do not use any other brands for the rice vinegar and soy sauce.
Serve with any salad, particularly with seafood, tofu or soba noodles. One tasty option is to put the dressing on a salad with cooked green tea soba noodles, smoked salmon, white onion slices, cucumber and shrimp.
Yasu's Ginger Dressing
- 3/4 cup Mitsukan rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup Kikkoman or Yamasa soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups soybean oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots (size of a penny)
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 1/2 cup sliced peeled fresh ginger
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- Sesame oil, to taste (optional)
Prepare and set out all ingredients. Place them in a blender. Mix on high speed until the dressing is smooth and creamy. This may take about 40 seconds, depending on the blender's power.Makes about 1 quart.
(This recipe has been introduced in TRIBUNE-REVIEW.)